Do you have something at your organization that needs doing? Painting? Cleaning? Organizing? Something a little more complicated? Volunteer NH is seeking project proposals for our AmeriCorps members to participate in for the 2024 Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Day of Service.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a day of service that celebrates the civil rights leader’s life and legacy. Observed each year on the third Monday in January as “a day on, not a day off,” MLK Day is the only federal holiday designated as a national day of service to encourage all Americans to volunteer to improve their communities. AmeriCorps has been charged to lead this effort for the last 25+ years; and as the State Service Commission, Volunteer NH helps to promote and coordinate local service opportunities for AmeriCorps members serving in New Hampshire.
Why should your organization host a service project on 2024 MLK Day?
- To tackle a project that requires the effort of several volunteers: ideally 5-10 volunteers.
- To honor the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. through civic engagement
- Bonus: to connect and learn more about the amazing AmeriCorps members and programs in New Hampshire!
2024 MLK Day Service Project examples:
- Painting a mural to brighten up your facility/site
- Hosting a collection drive for food, clothing, etc. If you decide to host a food or clothing drive, we suggest collecting items up until the week before MLK Day and arrange to have the items delivered on the day of service.
- Bringing meals to homebound community members
- Serving meals at a shelter or food pantry
- Writing letters to active military personnel serving overseas
- Making cards for individuals in Assisted Care facilities and/or healthcare workers
Sounds great! How do I submit my project proposal?
Submit your proposal by sending a short description of the project to Aislinn@VolunteerNH.org. Multiple proposals may be accepted.
When are proposals due?
12pm on Friday, December 8.